Organic Timor Green Coffee (Unroasted)
Regular price $6.75
[Region] Atsabe, Timor
[Cooperative] Cooperativa Cafe Timor
[Partners Since] 2009
[Varietal] Bourbon, Timor Hybrid
[Processing Method] Fully Washed
This is a spicy, slightly acid bean. It is also a very hard, so it can really hold up in a darker roast. Scorch away!
Our coffee comes from Atsabe village in the mountainous Ermera district, southwest of the capital, Dili. The beans are spicy with slight acidity and chocolate tones. We pioneered Direct Fair Trade in East Timor, creating a relationship with Atsabe in 2009. This insures that our profit-sharing and development monies go directly to the farmers.
The independent coffee farmers of East Timor struggled for years against Indonesian rule, and won their freedom peacefully. During that time, we provided funds for democratic organizing by pro-independence groups. At the farmer�s request, we are now funding needed rural maternal health clinics in the coffee areas, staffed totally by Timorese, and supporting Atsabe�s schools and youth programs (computers and soccer!).
Education Support (2012-ongoing)
- providing computers, computer training, school supplies, and language instruction to school children
- Funding commitment to date: $7,500
Atsabe Village Empowerment (2009)
- Forged first direct coffee industry relationship with a village in the country
- Allowed villagers to share in development and bred accountability
- Promoted sustainability and improved standard of living