Sidama Coffee Farmers Cooperative Union
Yirgacheffe & Sidama, Ethiopia
Ethiopia is known as the birthplace of coffee - and they know how to grow those beans! Our coffee comes from the Sidama Coffee Farmers Cooperative Union, made up of 34 member coops spread throughout the central plateau of Yirgacheffe and Sidamo.
We worked with the Sidama Cooperative to bring the first ever Fair Trade, Organic Ethiopian into the U.S. When I brought back the roasted coffee to the farmers, they went wild! Few had ever tasted their own coffee. They were very proud (and let me sleep in the former Emperor’s bed!).
The beans are picked from wild-looking trees hidden in lush forest. They have the unique fruitiness and slightly earthy tones associated with fine Ethiopian coffees.
Our Ethiopian Coffees
People-Centered Development Projects
Fighting Cervical Cancer (2014 - ongoing)
- Working with Grounds for Health to develop a community-based cervical cancer detection and treatment program.
- In Ethiopia, they have screened 62,940 women in over 32 districts, and treated 5,562. Dean's Beans is directly responsible for screening 4,246 women in Ethiopia and treating 375.
- In 2020, we gave $5,000 for COVID-19 PPE and clinic safety supplies.
- Funding commitment to date: $153,500
Bringing Clean Water to Coffee Communities (2008 - 2012)
- "Miriam's Well" - built a water tank and well for easy access to clean water in a remote coffee village.
- Funding committed: $10,000
- Constructed new classrooms and hired qualified teachers.
Ethiopian Trademark Initiative
- Created a workable, fair trademark license to prevent abuse by large companies.